Friday, June 24, 2011

Treasures from the yard

I am sad to announce that the lone blueberry I've been waiting on to ripen has disappeared. I am not sure who/what the culprit is but the next time that little plant bears fruit (hopefully more than one), I'll make sure to set up barbed wire around it.

In the mini orchard on the side of the house, we have some avocado plants (trying to fit in with the rest of the neighborhood). This one has 3 fruits that are still hanging on (down from about 219). Baby avocados are so fragile! This image was taken on 6/15 and I haven't journeyed to the mini orchard since then so I'm not even sure if these are still there:

One day while exploring the mini orchard, TT exclaimed excitedly "Wow giant lemons!"
I had to crush her excitement and tell her these are actually grapefruit:

On yet another day while digging around in the yard, I saw something white in one of the planters under the patio. Initially I thought it was a mushroom that had sprouted overnight (some mushrooms are unstoppable). I bent down to take a closer look and found it was an egg. The nest from which (I'm assuming) the egg fell was hanging loosely in the wisteria vines above, tattered and abandoned. The egg felt light and hollow so I knew there was no longer the potential for a baby bird. I felt a little sad for the short-lived glory of the now-dried chick but I was also very excited about my find. Naturally, I showed everyone I could find around the house that day. Check out my egg!

 I placed the egg on a mini orchid plant for safe keeping. A few days later, I found my egg, crushed and hidden in a vase near the orchid plant. Mom had crushed it when she picked up the orchid to move it (for the first time since it was brought into the house). And she conveniently forgot to tell me she was the one who broke it. :( times indeed. At least I got some pictures and a few cool videos of the mini egg spinning while it was still whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment