Saturday, April 9, 2011

Would you rather be the absolute best at one thing and mediocre in others or be good at everything but not steal the show in anything?

When I was younger, I always strove to be good at everything. Excelling in academics was never a problem as I had very few distractions outside of school (which translates to: my parents banned watching TV and hanging out with non-relatives outside of school). Give me anything to learn: math, science, art, Spanish, sometimes English, social studies, and I would be so excited to get acquainted with it. I soaked up new information like my life depended on it (if only that were still the case).

Sports on the other hand did not go down so well. Yes, I was the last-picked kid when teachers cruelly let students pick their own teams. Yes, I was the one who gave her team a strike by letting go of the softball bat at the end of my swing and nearly taking out the catcher's head (of course I missed the ball as well). Yes, I ducked whenever I saw balls in my periphery, regardless if they were even coming towards me. But those were my elementary school days. Upon entering middle school, I resolved to be more confident in myself on the playground because I really did want to be good at everything. I focused less on avoiding injuries and more on learning the rules of the game and finding ways to make up for my lack of strength, speed, and stature. As a result, I became MVP of the school's soccer team. OK, I really didn't become MVP of anything but I was no longer the last picked and that was all I needed.

Now that I'm older, I would rather be the absolute best at one thing. Being good at everything was so much easier to achieve when my only goals were to make my parents proud by getting good grades and make them happy by suppressing my inner wild child ways. I no longer have to worry about report cards and my inner wild child has died from neglect and malnutrition. My only goal now is to be the absolute best at one thing. I have yet to figure out and decide what that one thing might be but when I have it....just you wait and see. There world! How do you like me now??

On a different note, I was asked to discuss the techniques used to make the tree studies so I will do my best... In the next post. :)

1 comment:

  1. The most successful people are usually good at one thing - and are smart enough to find other people to recruit for knowledge when needed. Its a great goal to strive for Becky :) whatever that goal ends up being.

    ReplyDelete