Sunday, September 11, 2011

L is for Love

On this past lazy Labor Day, after I had slept as much as my eyes desired, I decided to venture into our yard again (after a very long hiatus). My wanderings first took me to the mini orchard on the side of the house where there are now approximately 20 fruit trees. The lone avocado that was once the center of my orchard-world attention is now no more. It disappeared some time two months ago, about the same time I stopped fawning over the garden. In addition to the loss of avocado, there has been a gain of trees that bring the promise of good fruit one day. I'll report more on them next year.

After treading through the battle field of an orchard (gophers, snakes, and squirrels vs dad and trees), I ventured over to the vegetable patch (or what's left of it). Most of the plants are still alive but they're no longer lush and fruitful. Here's a look at what it used to be...
From 7/9:
Super hot chilies
cherry tomatoes

Thai Hot Chilies (not so hot)

I forgot we used to have cilantro
carrots
Opo squash vine
the actual fruit/vegetable
our harvest: green beans, heirloom tomatoes, opo squash
From 7/26, we have:
salix tortuosa, flourishing in plain tap water


Roma tomatoes (they're about half the size of store-bought ones but in my mind they taste better becuase they're my babies)
my onions!
g'bye beans


death of a garden







And finally, from 9/5:

planted down 3 branches of salix tortuosa!

I pulled a carrot out to see what it looks like. This is what it looks like...

The lucky carrot next to TT's finger. It's bent because apparently there's cardboard underneath the dirt to keep the animals from digging up. Mom didn't know this when she put the seeds down.

L-O-V-E



No comments:

Post a Comment